Saturday, April 16, 2011

93. The Apartment (1960)



I learned two things about Shirley MacLaine after watching this movie. I learned them both by watching Oprah. (Who says you can't learn anything by watching day-time television?)

1. Shirley MacLaine was incredibly promiscuous in her day.
2. Shirley MacLaine is a little bit nuts.

However, neither one of these facts have anything to do with how cute a movie "The Apartment" was. In an effort to make this blog better, I'm researching each movie from here on out to find out why each was selected to be in the top 100. This movie was directed by Billy Wilder, who also directed "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe. It was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, and won 5. It won Best Picture in 1960. I'm guessing that is why it is on the list.

Jack Lemmon was the main character, and at times I felt like I was watching Mad Men, with the outfits, and the men cheating on their wives, and the office decor. Jack Lemmon was this wimpy guy who kept letting the men in his office use his apartment to bring their mistresses back to. All is well and good until he falls in love with the elevator operator and wants to use his own apartment.

Cute, cute, cute, I gave it 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment