Saturday, April 16, 2011

96. The Searchers (1956)



Well, I finally watched this movie. It's not that I was avoiding it, it's just that I've been busy. And baseball is on now, so it's harder to find time to dedicate to watching a whole movie. Last weekend Dermot told me that this was one of his favorite movies of all time, so that definitely gave me some more motivation to watch it.

The Searchers was my first John Wayne movie. It was pretty good, I didn't fall asleep at all (which I have in quite a few of the movies on this list so far...). The AFI named it the "Greatest Western of All Time" in 2008, which is a pretty high distinction. It didn't get any Academy Award nominations, though.

It's a movie about a semi-retired Civil War Veteran who's whole family is killed by the "Comanch". They kidnap the two younger girls, and John Wayne finds out that one of the girls is still alive. He spends something like the next 8 years looking for them. There are moments where it gets sort of racist, but John Wayne's character actually speaks a bunch of different languages in the movie, including Spanish and the Comanche dialect. It even has Natalie Wood in it at the end.

I liked this movie, and so I give it 5 stars. John Wayne wasn't that bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment